sg-crest A Singapore Government Agency Website
Official website links end with
Secure websites use HTTPS
Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

At your case conference

A case conference is conducted by a Family Courts judge and is closed to the public. Only those directly involved in the matter can attend.

You do not have to attend the case conference yourself if you have a lawyer. Similarly, if the other party has a lawyer, their lawyer will attend the case conference.

If you are representing yourself, on the day of your case conference, you should:

  • Arrive early and find your way to the venue.
  • Confirm your case is heard in the venue you are about to enter. Inform the court officer before entering.
  • Dress neatly and decently when attending court.
  • Speak and conduct yourself in a courteous manner.

Some court sessions may be conducted virtually. The court will inform you if you do not need to attend court in person. Find out more about virtual court sessions.

What to expect in a case conference

At the case conference, the court will:

  • Clarify the parties' positions on the matter.
  • Give directions for parties to file further documents.
    • This is necessary so that the court has a better understanding of the facts of the case.

The court may also direct parties to attend mediation and counselling at the Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) Division.

Once all the necessary documents have been filed and the court is satisfied the matter is ready for a hearing, the court will schedule a date for the hearing.

At your application hearing

If both parties reach an agreement on the matter at the hearing, the court will record a consent order if it is satisfied that the order the parties are seeking is in the best interests of the child.

If both parties cannot reach an agreement at the hearing, the court may proceed to make an order based on the affidavits that have been filed in court, and after hearing submissions from the parties or their lawyers (if any).

Once the court has granted the order, parties can extract the court order via eLitigation at the LawNet & CrimsonLogic Service Bureau.

If a party is not satisfied: appeal

If a party is not satisfied with an order, they may appeal to the Family Division of the High Court by filing a Notice of Appeal.

They will need to file and serve the notice within 14 days after the date the order was made.

Find out about the appeal process.

Court officers cannot help parties file their appeal papers. Parties who need assistance in such matters may wish to approachthe Community Justice Centre, Community Legal Clinic or the Legal Aid Bureau.

Need help?

The information here is for general guidance as the courts do not provide legal advice. If you need further help, you may want to get independent legal advice.

Find out more

Share this page: