sg-crest A Singapore Government Agency Website
Official website links end with
Secure websites use HTTPS
Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Before responding to a claim

Before you respond, make sure you:

All applications must be filed through CJTS. If you need access to computers to respond to your claim, visit the Business Centre at the State Courts, Level 2 during operating hours.

Options you can take

The party who filed the claim is known as the plaintiff (for matters commenced before 1 April 2022) or claimant (for matters commenced on or after 1 April 2022).

You are the respondent.

You can respond to the claim in one of the following ways:

You may resolve the claim by initiating an online negotiation on CJTS. You should follow the instructions attached to the claim form served on you to settle the claim.

If both parties manage to reach a settlement, the plaintiff or claimant may apply to withdraw the claim. Alternatively, either party may apply for a consent order to be issued.

If the dispute is not settled by the date of the pre-trial conference (PTC) or case conference as stated in the Notice of Pre-trial or Case Conference served on you, you must attend the PTC or case conference.

If you do not agree with the claim, you must file and serve a Reply within 14 days after being served with the claim.

Key facts

Refer to the following to find out how to file and serve a Reply.

When to file and serve

Within 14 days after being served with a neighbour dispute claim.

Filing fees


How to apply

Through CJTS.

What you will need

You should prepare the following (where applicable) before you file:

  • Claim or application number.
  • Your Reply to each of the incidents listed in CJTS.
  • A soft copy of the evidence to be provided in support of your application in PDF format.
    • You will need to upload evidence to substantiate your Reply to each incident mentioned via CJTS. Refer to Prepare evidence for a neighbour dispute claim for instructions on filing evidence.
  • A soft copy of other supporting documents in PDF format.
    • All supporting documents submitted must be in the English language. Otherwise, a certified translation for the documents must be provided.

How to file and serve

You will need to follow these steps to file a Reply:

  1. Log in to CJTS. Under the Online Applications tab, select Reply Form and follow the instructions to fill in the required information.
  2. Print and serve a copy of your Reply and all your evidence submitted to the plaintiff or claimant within 14 days after the date you were served with the claim.

You may serve the documents on the plaintiff through one of the following ways:

Service method

What it is

Personal service

Delivering hard copies of the documents personally to the plaintiff or claimant.

Registered post

Sending hard copies of the documents in an envelope to the last known residential or registered address of the respondent.


Submitting soft copies of the documents to the plaintiff or claimant through CJTS.


Delivering the documents by any means as directed by the CDRT.

After you file a Reply

You must attend the PTC or case conference on the specified date and time as stated on the Notice of Pre-trial or Case Conference.

If you are absent from the PTC or case conference, the court may continue with the proceedings and issue a default order against you.

Need help?

The information here is for general guidance as the courts do not provide legal advice. If you need further help, you may want to get independent legal advice.

Find out more


Refer to the Guide to Neighbour Dispute Claims (PDF, 4099 KB).
Refer to

Related questions

You can file a claim provided you have obtained the previous sanction of the Official Assignee. The sanction has to be uploaded under Other Supporting Documents of the claim in CJTS.


Share this page: