sg-crest A Singapore Government Agency Website
Official website links end with
Secure websites use HTTPS
Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Before you file

Before you file a claim, make sure you:

All applications must be filed through the Community Justice and Tribunals System (CJTS). If you need access to computers to file your claim, visit the Business Centre at the State Courts, Level 2 during operating hours.

Key facts

Refer to the following to find out how to file and serve a neighbour dispute claim.

If you are filing the claim, you are the plaintiff (for matters commenced before 1 April 2022) or claimant (for matters commenced on or after 1 April 2022).

The other party is the respondent.

Lawyers are not allowed to represent parties in court for CDRT matters unless all parties to the proceedings agree, subject to the court's approval.

When to file

Within 2 years of the event which creates your cause of action.

When to serve

Within 14 days of the date of filing of the claim.

Filing fees


How to apply

Through the CJTS.

What you will need

You should prepare the following before you file:

  • The particulars of the respondent.
    • As far as possible, you will need to provide the full name and address of the respondent.
    • If the respondent is likely to be the legal owner of the residence and you know the address but not their full name, you can conduct an ownership search based on their address from the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) Integrated Land Information Service (INLIS) for a fee.
    • If the respondent is not likely to be the legal owner of the place of residence, you may wish to consider other methods to obtain the respondent’s full name, such as approaching the legal owner of the place of residence for assistance.
    • If you are still unable to obtain the full name of the respondent, the CDRT may allow you to file a claim against the occupier or resident of the relevant residence without naming the respondent in full. However, the CDRT will direct you to take steps to find out the name of the respondent in the course of proceedings and reserves the right to make any orders it deems appropriate.

  • The sequence of incidents in chronological order.
  • A soft copy of the evidence to be provided in support of your application in PDF format.
  • A soft copy of other supporting documents in PDF format.
    • All supporting documents submitted must be in the English language. Otherwise, a certified translation for the documents must be provided.

  • The remedies you are seeking.
    • These are the outcomes you wish to achieve from the neighbour dispute claim. You may have to explain in detail what specific actions you want the respondent to do.

How to file and serve

You will need to follow these steps to file and serve your claim.



1. File your claim

Your claim is filed in CJTS.

2. Serve documents on the respondent

The respondent is notified of your neighbour dispute claim.

3. File a declaration of service

The CDRT receives proof that you have served the claim on the respondent.

When: Within 2 years of the event which creates your cause of action.

  1. Log in to CJTS. Under the Online Applications tab, select Claim Form and follow the instructions.
  2. Choose your preferred pre-trial conference (PTC) or case conference date and time.
    • The earliest PTC or case conference date available is 4 weeks from the date your claim is filed.
    • Choose the language or dialect you are comfortable with if you do not understand or speak English. The CDRT will try to arrange for an interpreter of the language you have chosen for your CDRT proceedings.
  3. Print a copy of the Notice of Pre-trial or Case Conference and the claim. You will have to serve these documents together with a copy of your evidence to the respondent within 14 days after the date of filing of the claim.
When: within 14 days of the date of filing of the claim.

You will have to serve a copy of the following on the respondent:

  • Your claim.
  • The evidence you submitted to the CDRT.
  • The Notice of Pre-trial or Case Conference.

You can serve the documents through one of the following ways:

Service method

What it is

Personal service

Delivering hard copies of the documents personally to the respondent.

Registered post

Sending hard copies of the documents in an envelope to the last known residential or registered address of the respondent.


Submitting soft copies of the documents to the respondent through CJTS.


Delivering the documents by any means as directed by the CDRT.

If you need to amend your claim, you would need to first file an application to obtain the court's approval.

To file an application to amend, select Request for Amendments under the Online Applications tab in CJTS.

When: before the date of the first PTC or case conference

You must file a declaration of service (DOS) with proof of service after serving the claim and Notice of Pre-trial or Case Conference on the respondent.

Examples of proof of service include a Singpost registered post slip or a form signed by the respondent to acknowledge they have received the documents from you.

Log in to CJTS. Under the Online Applications tab, select Declaration of Service and follow the instructions.

For detailed instructions, refer to the CJTS user guide for filing neighbour disputes  (PDF, 3015 KB)

After you file

The respondent may respond to the claim you have filed against them in different ways. Refer to the following to understand what these ways are:

If the respondent does not dispute the claim, they may choose to resolve it by initiating online negotiation via CJTS.

If a settlement is reached

If a settlement is reached via eNegotiation, you may consider either of the following:

  • Apply to have the agreed terms recorded as a Consent Order by selecting Request for Order of Tribunal in CJTS, subject to the CDRT's approval.
  • Withdraw the claim by selecting Withdrawal Request Form in CJTS.
    • When a claim is withdrawn, the matter will be taken as concluded and there will be no further proceedings at the CDRT.

If the dispute is not settled by the date of the PTC or case conference as stated in the Notice of Pre-trial or Case Conference, you must attend the PTC or case conference.

If the respondent does not agree with the claim, they may choose to file and serve a Reply on you within 14 days of being served with your claim.

A Reply sets out the respondent's defence to your claim which they will be relying on.

Need help?

The information here is for general guidance as the courts do not provide legal advice. If you need further help, you may want to get independent legal advice.

Find out more


Related questions

If the respondent attends the PTC or case conference, the court will consider the respondent's reasons for not filing a Reply, and may adjourn the PTC or case conference for the respondent to file a Reply.

Share this page: