Receiving a summons for a personal protection order application

If you receive a summons issued by the court stating that you are the respondent in a personal protection order (PPO) application, it means that a family member (the applicant) has filed a PPO (also known as a complaint) against you.

The summons is usually served on you in one of the following ways:

  • In person by the court process server.
    • The court process server may also serve the summons on an adult living in the same residence as you in your absence.
  • Posting it on a conspicuous part of your residence.

The summons will state the date and time for you and the applicant to attend a court session known as a court mention.

At the court mention, the court officer will make known to you the contents of the complaint made by the applicant. You will then be given the opportunity to give your response to the complaint.

Receiving an expedited order

Depending on the nature of the applicant's complaint, the summons may be served together with an expedited order (EO) if one is issued by the judge.

Find out more about what an EO is.

You must follow the orders as stated in the EO. If you breach (disobey) the EO, the applicant may go to the police to report the breach and you may be charged for breaching the order.

Respond to a personal protection order application step-by-step

This is the process of responding to a PPO application.

If you are filing a PPO application against a family member, refer to Apply for a personal protection order instead.

Before attending court

Understand personal protection orders

Find out what are the types of orders the court can make to protect a family member from family violence and the consequences for breaching these orders.

Resolving the dispute

Attend court mentions

After the application is made, both you and the applicant must attend a court session known as a court mention. How the application proceeds further will depend on what happens at the court mention.

Attend counselling or hearing

If you do not consent to the application at the court mention, the court may refer you and the applicant to counselling or give directions to prepare parties to proceed to a hearing scheduled at a later date.

After an order is made

File an appeal, if needed

If you are not satisfied with the order made by the court at the end of the hearing, you may appeal to the Family Division of the High Court.

You do not need a lawyer to file for a PPO application at the FJC. However, you may choose to engage one if you need to seek legal advice or wish to be represented at the court mentions or the hearing.

The courts are not able to provide legal advice or recommend lawyers. Find out where to get help.


Refer to Personal Protection Order under the Women's Charter - The Essentials:

Share this page: