Popular keywords

In this section:

Arriving in court for a simplified civil trial


This page describes the simplified trial process for cases begun by a Writ of Summons (Writ) and heard in the Magistrate's Court or the District Court where all parties consent to the application of the simplified civil process.

Refer to Going to court for a civil trial instead if either of the following applies to your case:

  • Civil cases begun by a Writ and heard in the General Division of the High Court.
  • Civil cases begun by a Writ and heard in the District Court where parties do not agree to the application of the simplified civil process.

On the day of your trial, you should:

  • Arrive early and find your way to the venue.
  • Confirm your case is heard in the venue you are about to enter. Inform the court officer before entering.
  • Dress neatly and decently when attending court.
  • Speak and conduct yourself in a courteous manner.

Attendance is compulsory

If you are absent without a valid reason, the judge may proceed with the case in your absence. Depending on the circumstances, your claim may either be dismissed or judgment may be entered against you.

If you are running late, you need to inform the other party that you are on your way and state your estimated time of arrival.

Documents to bring

You should bring the following for your simplified trial:

  • Your identity card (NRIC), work permit, passport or other official identification documents that have your photo and personal particulars (photo ID).
  • At least 2 sets of all the bundles submitted to the court.
    • One copy is for you to refer to and your witnesses should each be given a copy.
  • Writing material to take notes (such as pens and notepad).

If you have lost your NRIC, work permit or passport and do not have any other photo ID, you can bring documents that support your reasons for not having a photo ID.

For example, you should bring along a police report as evidence of the loss of your NRIC. Alternatively, you can also show correspondences with the relevant agencies such as the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) as evidence of your attempts at obtaining a replacement NRIC or passport.

Need help?

The information here is for general guidance as the courts do not provide legal advice. If you need further help, you may want to get independent legal advice.

Find out more

Go to Step-by-step guide

Step-by-step guide


Share this page: