sg-crest A Singapore Government Agency Website
Official website links end with
Secure websites use HTTPS
Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Translation services in the courts

The courts provide translation services from Chinese, Malay and Tamil into English only for documents to be filed or used in court proceedings.

Acceptance of translation requests is subject to the court's discretion. The courts may decline a translation request for the following reasons:

  • The documents submitted for translation are for private use.
  • The source documents are illegible.
  • The source document contains specialised technical terms.
  • The request is made at short notice.

Note: This list is non-exhaustive.

In the event that the courts decline a translation request, parties and their lawyers should approach a private translation service instead.

Estimated fees

The fee payable for a certified translation by a court interpreter is $45 per translated page. The total translation fee will only be advised upon completion of the translation.

How to arrange for translation of documents

All requests should be made at least 4 weeks before the date the translated documents are required. This is because the timeline for completion is at least 4 weeks or more, depending on the complexity and length of the documents.

Refer to the following to find out how to arrange for the translation of documents in the respective courts. You should file a request to the court handling your case.

If you are representing yourself in a Supreme Court case, you may request translation services by submitting the Request by Unrepresented Party for Translation Services Form.

Parties who are represented should submit Request for Hearing Administrative Support via eLitigation through their lawyer.

If you are representing yourself in a State Courts case, you may request translation services by submitting a Request for Administrative Support via eLitigation at the LawNet & CrimsonLogic Bureau.

Parties who are represented must submit their request through their lawyer.

If you are representing yourself in a Family Justice Courts (FJC) case, you can apply for translation services at counter 10 of the Registry, Level 1 of the FJC.

You will have to:

You must provide your case reference number in the request form.

The officer at the counter will then inform you that an assigned translator will liaise with you via email. The assigned translator will follow up with you with regards to all of the following:

  • The confirmation of receiving your documents.
  • The rate of payment.
  • The estimated completion date depending on the complexity of the documents.

When the translated documents are ready, the translator will inform you via email of the details of fee payment and the mail-out date for the translated documents.

Share this page: