Appointment of International Judge to the SICC
The President of the Republic of Singapore, in accordance with Article 95(4)(c) of the Constitution, has appointed Justice Zhang Yongjian (张勇健法官) from the People’s Republic of China as International Judge to the Singapore International Commercial Court (SICC) for an initial one-year term, with effect from 5 Jan 2023 to 4 Jan 2024.
Justice Zhang Yongjian
2. Justice Zhang Yongjian, 64, graduated in 1989 from the University of Political Science and Law of China and was conferred a Doctor of Laws in 2007 by the Renmin University of China, where he majored in civil and commercial law. He is a National Adjudication Expert of the People’s Republic of China. He served as a Judge of the Supreme People’s Court (SPC) of the People’s Republic of China from Apr 2000.
3. From Dec 2012 to Mar 2016, Justice Zhang successively held the positions of the Chief Judge of the First Civil Division, member of the Adjudication Committee, the Chief Judge of the Second Civil Division, and the Chief Judge of the Fourth Civil Division of the SPC.
4. In Apr 2017, he was appointed Deputy Chief Judge of the First Circuit Court, and Senior Judge of the First Rank. In Jun 2018, he was appointed as Senior Judge of the China International Commercial Court. He retired from the Judiciary in 2019.
5. Since his retirement, Justice Zhang has held the appointment of Arbitrator with the Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration, China Maritime Arbitration Commission, China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission, and the Shanghai Arbitration Commission. He has been a part-time Professor with the University of Political Science and Law of China since Sep 2020 and a member of the Board of Governors of the Asian Business Law Institute since Jan 2016.
6. With this appointment, the Supreme Court will have a total of 27 Judges (including the Chief Justice and four Justices of the Court of Appeal), two Judicial Commissioners, five Senior Judges and 19 International Judges.
Issued by: Prime Minister’s Office