sg-crest A Singapore Government Agency Website
Official website links end with
Secure websites use HTTPS
Look for a lock () or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Eligible offences

A Magistrate's Complaint can be filed for offences that are punishable by up to 3 years’ imprisonment or a fine, or both.

Some examples include:

  • Voluntarily causing hurt
  • Mischief
  • Cheating
  • Harassment

If you are unsure of the punishment for the offence, refer to the statute in which the offence is defined. (Statutes are available at Singapore Statutes Online.)


If you have made a police report but your case is not being pursued by the police, you may choose to pursue your case by filing a claim at the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals or Protection from Harassment Court, or file a Magistrate’s Complaint.

Check if your case is eligible

Take this pre-filing assessment, which offers guidance on general requirements for filing a Magistrate's Complaint, including the eligible offences, as well as the potential remedies offered. 

Who can file

The victim of the alleged offence should file the Magistrate's Complaint.

For individuals under 21 years old, their parent or guardian should file on their behalf.

Need help?

The information here is for general guidance as the courts do not provide legal advice. If you need further help, you may want to get independent legal advice.

Find out more
Go to Step-by-step guide

Step-by-step guide


Share this page: